Hi! It’s Wellness Wednesdays! Let’s talk about healthy diet changes for the first trimester of pregnancy. A pregnancy can drastically change your diet, but cravings aren’t the only challenge. The first trimester of pregnancy can be a challenging time for a woman. However, these quick diet changes can help you adjust.
Protect you and your baby during your first trimester with these healthy nutrition tips:
1. Eat healthy for two. Your baby depends on you during your pregnancy, so it’s important to start eating healthy as soon as possible.
- If you struggle with healthy diets, then you may want to consult your doctor for help. It’s crucial that you start a healthy, vitamin-rich diet plan to help your baby develop.
2. Take a prenatal vitamin. Food is an important source of vitamins, but it’s not enough during a pregnancy.
- Your doctor can recommend a good prenatal vitamin that will have the nutrients your baby needs. There are a variety of brands, so you may want to get your doctor’s advice before shopping.
3. Add folate to your diet. Folate is also essential for the proper development.
- You can take vitamins with folic acid, but foods offer another option. Folate can be found in beans, edamame, lentils, spinach, and fortified cereals. Your body needs folate to prevent birth defects in your child.
4. Get enough iron. Iron is another important nutrient that your body needs during pregnancy.
- If you’re not vegetarian, you can use meat as the most common source of iron. If you’re vegetarian, vegetables like beans, spinach, and lentils can provide you with iron. Eggs and apricots are also good sources of this nutrient.
5. Eliminate all alcohol. Alcohol has been linked to birth defects and developmental issues in children. If you’re trying to stay healthy for your baby, then consider cutting out all alcohol during the pregnancy.
6. Add fish. Fish is an omega-rich food, but it’s important to avoid certain kinds during pregnancy.
- Women who are pregnant sometimes eliminate all fish because they’re worried about chemicals like mercury. However, doctors state that you can still eat fish. You should avoid sushi, shark, and swordfish because they’re more likely to have poisons. However, salmon, trout, catfish and sardines are generally considered safe.
7. Avoid eating hotdogs and soft cheeses. They may contain Listeria, which is a harmful bacteria that can hurt your child or even lead to miscarriages.
8. Get enough calcium. Calcium is important for your bones, but it’s also essential during pregnancy.
- Your baby needs calcium to develop strong bones. You can find calcium in traditional dairy sources like milk, cheese, and yogurt. However, you also have other options like fortified orange juice and fortified cereals.
9. Switch to well-done meat. You don’t want to risk getting bacteria from undercooked meat during your pregnancy.
- Your meat needs to be well done because Listeria, Salmonella, and other bacteria can harm your baby and even lead to miscarriages or stillbirths.
- You may want to get a meat thermometer to ensure your meat is done.
10. Deal with your cravings. The cravings may be sudden and impossible to avoid. However, you can learn to deal with them. Try substituting healthier options like fruits instead of candy bars during a sugar craving.
The first trimester may be easier to handle once you follow these quick diet changes. You also may want to consult your doctor or dietician for help.
P.S. Below are some high quality products that I recommend in my Pregnancy Protocol. These are my favorite Superfoods and Supplements to recommend for a healthy pregnancy! This protocol will ensure you have the intake of the important foods, vitamins, and minerals to decrease inflammation and boost your innate wellness day and night. Taken together, it’s a solid plan for increasing your body’s natural resiliency for you and baby. I have even included organic skin care products that are safe during pregnancy!
Remember, living a healthy lifestyle including eating a whole foods plant-based diet and regular exercise are best for a healthy pregnancy.
Although inflammation has long been known to play a role in allergic diseases like asthma, arthritis, and Crohn’s Disease, Dr. Tanya Edwards, Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine, says that Alzheimer’s Disease, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, and Parkinson’s Disease may all be related to chronic inflammation in the body. Dr. Edwards writes that inflammation is now recognized as “the underlying basis of a significant number of diseases”.
SOUL is packed with chlorophyll-rich alkalizing green superfoods and ancient Ayurvedic herbs known to support the liver and kidneys.
- Decrease pain, by decreasing inflammation
- Assists with renewal and detoxifing the liver
- Improves the mucosal lining of the gut
- Promotes digestion & metabolism; soothes the stomach
Each scoop of NOURISH has an ORAC value equal to the antioxidant power of over 7 servings of fruits and vegetables, making it quite possibly the best multivitamin on the planet!
The ingredients are gently blended, never heated, and are always free of artificial colors, artificial flavors, fillers, sweeteners, additives, and synthetic, isolated, or fractionated vitamins & minerals. NOURISH contains an impressive array of dense nutrients, all from whole foods, created in nature as they should be.
With its delicious chocolate flavor, NOURISH Superfoods & Sprouts is perfect for people of all ages!
Iron is critical for producing hemoglobin, a protein that helps red blood cells deliver oxygen throughout your body. So without it, everything suffers. About two-thirds of the body’s iron if found in hemoglobin. Other health benefits of sufficient iron include prevention and reduction of anemia, chronic diseases, cough, pre-dialysis anemia, and many others.
Another of the major benefits of iron is increased brain development. Iron aids oxygen supply in the blood, and since the brain uses approximately 20% of the blood oxygen, sufficient iron levels are directly related to brain health and its functions.
Our luxurious, handcrafted organic Charcoal & Cacao Hair & Body Bar will detox and beautify your hair and skin.
Activated Charcoal and organic Cacao strengthen hair follicles while removing toxins, oils, and pollutants. Added Plantain Leaf and Cocoa Butter moisturize hair bringing luster and shine to every strand. Perfect for all skin types and great for shaving too!
Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Minimize Medications. Maximize Health.
Are you super busy but need to take control of your health? Are you tired of being tired? Subscribe to my “Minimize Medications, Maximize Health Blog” and I’ll give you 7 Tips to Get Healthy in No Time absolutely FREE.